On-Core Software
December 05, 2019, 09:54:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Strings of fire per drill, custom scoring matrix, reports, dry fire sessions  (Read 6225 times)
Walkerpbw

« on: June 29, 2014, 10:40:32 am »

I'm a firearms instructor and have a live fire and dry practice programs, geared towards defensive shooting.  I created log sheets for my students to record their sessions so they can monitor their progress.  I would love for them to be able to use this software to make it easier to record their sessions.  I'm also an IDPA/USPSA/3 gun competitor and RO.  Below are my wishes/suggestions for enhancements to the ShotMaxx Trainer that would make recording training sessions much easier.

Strings of fire:  I would love to see the ability to have multiple strings of fire per drill so that you could run a drill a set number of times, score each string separately, and time each string separately.  It would then also be nice to be able to see those times/scores in a table for that session.

Custom scoring:  The description in the IOS App mentions IDPA training but there is no scoring for that discipline.  I'd love to see that as well as other custom scoring solutions, with penalties included.  For my defensive classes it would be either IN or OUT, so points don't really apply, but I can see being able to assign a point value to IN, especially when running a standards test.  I use either a USPSA target with the A zone or entire head as the target or the CSAT target.  When practicing "Press outs" with a single shot or controlled pairs, I would record the time and then if the shots were inside the target area or outside.  I envision a separate scoring menu item on the home page and the the ability to attach those scoring methods to each drill.

Reports:  it would be great if a person could see their scores/time for each string as well as an average time per drill across many sessions (maybe beginning and ending date range).

Dry Practice:  I encourage my students to dry practice as much as their able to.  With that said, I envision the uses I've mentioned above with string times but without the need for Scoring.  I envision adding a flag to the session that determines the "Type" of session (live Fire or dry practice), a set par time per string, the choice to not require scoring, and a yes or no if they completed he drill within the par time.   Essentially my program has the student set a par time in which to complete the dry practice drill string and then has them practice the next string at a slightly faster par time, if they are completing the drill successfully.  This helps them slowly speed up their times and push themselves.

I've got copies of my drill log sheets if the developers are interested in getting more information.

Thanks
- Patrick Walker
Adam
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 02:07:46 pm »

Thanks for taking the time to write your suggestions!  We do have more in store for the SMT app.  We are working with Double-Alpha on some improvements on the ShotMaxx that will allow us to do a bit more with the app and covers some of the things you want, but we need to have that ability in the SM first (which is in progress as I write this).

I do not know the IDPA rules well enough yet, but have a friend who is now an RO, so I will certainly pick his brain on how the IDPA scoring works.  We can potentially have an option to set the scoring type (e.g. USPSA or IDPA calculator).

We will certainly keep your other requests in mind and add them to our "wish list", but cannot make any promises.
Walkerpbw

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 08:56:27 pm »

Thanks Adam, for the information and can't wait to see the enhancements!  The SMT is already one of the best timer improvements I've seen in a long time!

I've worked for a software development company in the past so I totally understand about not being able to make promises.   Grin

- Patrick
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: