On-Core Software
October 19, 2019, 03:10:56 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Intermittent Dictation Function  (Read 5737 times)
mwa

« on: November 17, 2013, 04:45:38 pm »

Like others, I use the Reference field often (i.e., with every time entry).

For me it's more convenient to use the dictation function (the microphone button), but sometimes the function is unavailable.  The dictation function will work fine for days, then it becomes unavailable (greyed-out) for days at a time, for no apparent reason.

I don't know whether this is a bug in the Time Master software (I'm using Time Master v5.8.3 with iOS v7.0.3, on an iPhone 5), or a bug in the OS.  I am inclined to believe the problem is with Time Master software, because the dictation function continues to work fine with native applications (e.g., Notes).

Has anyone else noticed these problems?  Is there a fix or workaround?

Thanks in advance,

-- Marty
Adam
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 11:49:24 am »

The dictation feature is part of iOS.  It is "built-in" by Apple (should be on virtually any text keyboard in any app).  What you need to keep in mind is that it totally relies on the internet.  The way it works is that it sends your speech out to Apple's servers where it analyzes the speech and turns it into text.  That text is sent back to the app.  So if you don't have a good cellular or Wi-Fi signal, they probably disable it.
mwa

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 09:52:04 am »

Yes, I understand that dictation relies upon an Internet connection...  Internet connectivity cannot be the problem in this case.

To clarify, when dictation is unavailable in Time Master, as a work-around, I'll switch to the Notes app, where dictation is available, and works just fine.  I then copy & paste text into Time Master's Reference field. 

I am using the Notes app under the same connectivity conditions as with Time Master, so it's safe to conclude that Internet connectivity is not a factor.

So, why would dictation be available in Notes, and unavailable in Time Master, given the same conditions? 

This is why I believe there's a problem with Time Master.

Thanks!
Ernesto
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 12:44:45 pm »

This is a known issue with iOS, described in this article:

http://www.imore.com/pissed-your-dictation-button-grayed-out-heres-fix-thats-only-slightly-less-annoying

Apparently, when the system memory gets low, iOS disables the dictation button, starting with third party apps first. Closing some background apps and freeing up memory might re-enable it.

Unfortunately there's nothing we can do from the app side to prevent this from happening and it's something Apple will have to address in a OS update.
mwa

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 09:30:31 am »

Thanks for the info.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: