On-Core Software
November 13, 2019, 02:48:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Auto-starting session question  (Read 3573 times)
PurpleSage

« on: June 22, 2010, 04:45:23 am »

I created a session (and, yes, I first enabled sessions in TimeMaster) with a specified start date (day after today) and a specified start time (8:00 AM).  I expected the session I'd configured to begin timing on the date and time I'd specified but, when I launched the software to check on the session timer, I'd found my session hadn't started as I thought it would. Huh  I had to delete the session and manually create a time entry. Sad

Not that it was such a big deal, but sometimes I forget to record time I spend on a client project, even though I might start at the same time each day and be limited to the number of hours I can bill in a single day for a particular client (gives me an idea).  Is it not possible to post-date sessions and specify start times for a future date and time and have TimeMaster launch the session I'd created through cron or a similar utility?  Thanks.
Adam
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 09:51:29 am »

I created a session (and, yes, I first enabled sessions in TimeMaster) with a specified start date (day after today) and a specified start time (8:00 AM).  I expected the session I'd configured to begin timing on the date and time I'd specified but, when I launched the software to check on the session timer, I'd found my session hadn't started as I thought it would. Huh  I had to delete the session and manually create a time entry. Sad

Well you could only set the Start Date and Time of the "Time Entry", but that is not the "default" for when you "start" the timer.  When you Start a timer, it will *always* set the Date to Now and the Time to Now.  You can always go back into the Session and change the Date and Time, but you cannot force it from the main Time Entries screen.  Also, it will not automatically start the session timer.  You must tap on the Green box in order to start and stop the timer and create the session.

Not that it was such a big deal, but sometimes I forget to record time I spend on a client project, even though I might start at the same time each day and be limited to the number of hours I can bill in a single day for a particular client (gives me an idea).  Is it not possible to post-date sessions and specify start times for a future date and time and have TimeMaster launch the session I'd created through cron or a similar utility?  Thanks.

Yes, we all occasionally forget to start the timer or add an entry.  You can always add it manually.  You can manually create sessions and set the date and time.  But please note, you should never span many different dates in the sessions in a single Time Entry.  If you work past midnight, you may have one date leading into the next, but you should not be using this to span multiple days.  Sessions are really for *your* information.  Unless you need to Report the exact "punch in & out" times, these are meant for you to know when you did what.  Please note that if you are using the optional Invoice module, you will need to put all your "notes", that you need to relay back to the client, in the "Reference" notes section and not the "Session Note".  Session notes will not display on invoices.

One question you might need to ask yourself is do you really need to use Sessions?  Unless you need to track the exact punch in & out times, you may not need to use sessions.  If you do not use sessions, then you simply start and stop the timer and it will keep adding time to the entry.  Here is the other thing you can do.  Once an entry becomes "old", the timer box will change from Green to Grey.  If you tap on that entry it will ask you if you want to: Start, Copy and Start or Copy with Duration.  Depending upon how you work, you may want to use the Copy and Start or Copy with Duration.  Note that if you were using sessions, it will remove the sessions in the new entry because we do not have a way to duplicate the sessions in the copied timer.

Hope all that makes sense?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: