On-Core Software
September 19, 2019, 10:11:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: No totals on entry screen: a weird thing to leave out.  (Read 4868 times)
MuppetGate

« on: June 21, 2010, 11:40:34 pm »

Why are there no totals at the bottom of the time entry screen. Not a huge deal, but it does mean you have to go to the trouble of generating a report to get hold of the totals.

It would be nice if you could get at the totals somehow from the main entry screens, even if it was just a popup that gave you the current totals.
Adam
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 09:33:57 am »

Why are there no totals at the bottom of the time entry screen. Not a huge deal, but it does mean you have to go to the trouble of generating a report to get hold of the totals.

It would be nice if you could get at the totals somehow from the main entry screens, even if it was just a popup that gave you the current totals.

Thanks for writing!  We haven't had this question in quite awhile and it's good to get it up on the forums.   Smiley

The issue is this.  There is very limited space on the iPhone screen.  When you are using the "Filters", Date filters or Entry filters, they will expand in size. (see attached image).  After they are expanded there is no room to put any numbers.  The other thing is that in order to keep the program running as fast as possible, we don't put totals on the main screen.  It would have go thru all the entries that would be on the screen and calculate the totals.  This would considerably slow down this screen.  For example, as you "scroll" thru the entries on this screen, they are actually "loaded on the fly" rather than the screen being built in one shot.  We do this for several reasons.  First is the limited RAM memory the iPhone has, too much memory used and the app will quit.  Second the time it would take to build the list and store all this in memory.  If you have ever run an app that keeps getting "slower" as you add more entries, you would know what I mean.  I have over 1000 Time Entries on my main screen and there is no performance hit.

Hope all that makes sense.

Cheers,
Adam.

MuppetGate

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 01:56:35 am »

Thanks for writing!  We haven't had this question in quite awhile and it's good to get it up on the forums.   Smiley

The issue is this.  There is very limited space on the iPhone screen.  When you are using the "Filters", Date filters or Entry filters, they will expand in size. (see attached image).  After they are expanded there is no room to put any numbers.  The other thing is that in order to keep the program running as fast as possible, we don't put totals on the main screen.  It would have go thru all the entries that would be on the screen and calculate the totals.  This would considerably slow down this screen.  For example, as you "scroll" thru the entries on this screen, they are actually "loaded on the fly" rather than the screen being built in one shot.  We do this for several reasons.  First is the limited RAM memory the iPhone has, too much memory used and the app will quit.  Second the time it would take to build the list and store all this in memory.  If you have ever run an app that keeps getting "slower" as you add more entries, you would know what I mean.  I have over 1000 Time Entries on my main screen and there is no performance hit.

Hope all that makes sense.

Cheers,
Adam.

That is very interesting. I did wonder if it had something to do with having to update running timers or something like that.

That does make sense. But going back to my suggestion, how about a popup that simply displays the totals for the currently set filters?

Thanks for the reply.
Adam
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 09:23:39 am »

That does make sense. But going back to my suggestion, how about a popup that simply displays the totals for the currently set filters?

Interesting suggestion.  The big problem is the room there (or lack thereof).  I'm not sure if we can add even a small button without it causing problems, but I will add your suggestion to our "wishlist".   Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: