On-Core Software
December 13, 2019, 08:54:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Alternate Backup/Restore with iOS 4  (Read 7136 times)
Adam
Administrator

« on: June 21, 2010, 10:17:37 pm »

We now have another way to Backup and Restore data on any device that has been update to iOS 4 or greater.  The nice part about this is that it will use the USB cable, so there is no need for Wi-Fi like with Time Master Central.  It is a bit more work than TMC, but it is another way to do a backup.

In iTunes, select your device from the left side column.  Select the "Apps" tab (top).  Next you will need to scroll down below the Apps section, to the lower part of the screen, where you will see the "File Sharing" section.  Select "Time Master" and then you will see some items in the "Documents" list.  The main file is named "database.rsd".  "Save to..."  a safe place on your computer.  You will also want to rename it something that tells you when it's from (date wise).  For example rename it to "database 06.21.2010.rsd".  Whatever you do, DO NOT delete the database.rsd file from the Documents folder or you will loose the data (unless you have a backup that you can put back in there).

If you need to Restore the database, you must rename it back to "database.rsd" first (this is mandatory).  Click on the "Add..." button.  "Choose" the file and and when prompted you will need to "Replace" it.  Your iPhone should be restored with the contents of that database file.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 02:01:00 pm by Adam » Logged
1audio

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 03:32:40 pm »

I tried this trick to transfer from an ios4 ipod touch to a replacement, not updated, ios3 ipod touch and the file transfer option never was offered on the new unit. Since there seems to be no way back to ios3 I hope you can fix the Time Master Central system.

Update:
I managed to restore to the other ipod using the time Master centra app. I copied the .rsd file to the timemaster backups directory. I then restored files attempting to figure it out. The file I wanted is called *nil* *nil* . It worked. I still want the ios4 problems resolve since I'm sure Apple will render the older OS unuseable at some point.
Adam
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 11:57:39 pm »

I tried this trick to transfer from an ios4 ipod touch to a replacement, not updated, ios3 ipod touch and the file transfer option never was offered on the new unit. Since there seems to be no way back to ios3 I hope you can fix the Time Master Central system.

I think you missed the point.  This is ONLY an iOS 4 (or newer) feature.  It will never work on an iPhone OS 3.x or older releases.  Only iOS 4 or iPad 3.2 devices will show the File Sharing stuff.

Update:
I managed to restore to the other ipod using the time Master centra app. I copied the .rsd file to the timemaster backups directory. I then restored files attempting to figure it out. The file I wanted is called *nil* *nil* . It worked. I still want the ios4 problems resolve since I'm sure Apple will render the older OS unuseable at some point.

Yes, the file name format for Time Master Central has a different format.  It is your device name then underscore and the Apple system date.  So it will look something like "my device_298837191.rsd".
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: