On-Core Software
December 05, 2019, 09:25:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Any way to use multiple (global) Tasks for one time entry?  (Read 3819 times)
GregF

« on: July 25, 2011, 02:00:38 pm »

I have started using TM v. 4.4, and have a question about Tasks.  I have set up several global tasks (for example, one is "review of documents", another is "email to client re questions", etc.).  I can use those global tasks for the description of what I did during a particular time entry.  So, if I work on something off and on (let's say, using the running timer, for 2 hours today, I might want to put in a description that combines two or more of my global tasks (using the examples above, maybe I want to say "review of documents; email to client re questions"), because I did BOTH of those things.  So here are 3 related questions:

1. I realize I can get there by typing all that in directly, but if I want to use my predefined global tasks, is there anyway to put in two tasks?  I can't see anyway to add the second task to a particular time entry without deleting the first one.  I guess I could use two different time entries for the same client on the same day, and have each one have its own Task, but then that would show up like that on the invoice, right?  (Or would your invoicing add-in somehow combine the two entries for the same client to make it one entry with the time totaled up and combining both task descriptions?)

2. Is there a way to add a word or two, manually, once I have selected the global task?  E.g., using the above example, could I select "email to client re questions" as the task, then add at the end "and related phone call"?  Again, I can't see any way to edit a task description for a time entry without actually deleting it and then typing it all in manually.

3. How else, other than under "Tasks" in the General Information box, do you enter a description of work done, for purposes of the invoicng to come later? 

Thanks!
Adam
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 10:54:16 pm »

You can only assign one single task to a Time Entry.  I suppose you could create specific dual purpose global Tasks.  e.g. "review of documents and email to client".  Of course that will create a much larger Task list, but that would be the only way to do that.

What you really need to do is use the Reference notes field.  That is what that field is for.  Relaying info the the Client.  I suppose that if you purchased the TextExpander app (not by us), you could create "snippets" to expand into full sentences if you wanted.  Just a thought.
GregF

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 08:29:05 am »

OK, thank you. So, just so I understand, it's the "References" that typically print on the invoice, not the "Tasks", correct?  If that's the case, since I want the client to see these daily descriptions describing what the time was spent on, then I would definitely want to be using "Reference" to enter my descriptions, and there is no "canned" way to do this without Text Expander.  Sound about right?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: