On-Core Software
September 19, 2019, 10:31:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fixed cost issue.  (Read 11929 times)
mouse

« on: May 08, 2011, 05:37:07 pm »

I am trying to sen an invoice based on a fixed cost but can't find the time entries when I go to create a new invoice. I create a client, create and add a project (in this case 2 Oak table tops with a fixed cost of £220 each, giving a fixed cost of £440). Once the project is added I select the task as 'labour' (a task I had previously created) and enter the fixed cost of £440. When I then go and try to create an invoice there is on entry in the time entries section so I can't select anything, is this because no time has elapsed on the time clocks? If I go and try to edit the time entry the fixed cost will disappear in the time entries list and will register £0.00 instead of £440. Is there a way round this or should I use the expenses section to create an expense?
There are many occasions when I need to send out a fixed cost invoice as some of my work is quoted for not timed. Thanks, Michael.
tmurk

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 06:26:07 pm »

Hi

I too am having a problem on the fixed cost issue as detailed by "Mouse".

Before I spend hours trying to establish whether or not I am doing something obviously wrong, did the latest upgrade cause a problem?

I can enter a fixed cost time entry for a client in the "projects" database. This shows up on the "time entries" list as required.

When I then enter "manage invoices" and call up that client to "add invoice", the time entry is no longer visible and is, therefore, unselectable.

Most attempts to edit the "time entry" to rectify the problem, cause the "fixed amount" as shown in the database "projects" folder to be set as "£0.00".

I can resolve the fixed cost problem by selecting the fixed rate item on "time entries" and removing the "project" entry. This then resets the time entry as the appropriate hourly rate figure. If I then reset the "project" for the required field, the fixed cost is reshown on "time entries".

This does not, however, solve the major problem. The fixed amount entry will still not show up, as a time entry, for selection for the client on the "add invoice" when creating an invoice.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for  any guidance.

Cheers

Mark
Adam
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 09:42:34 pm »

Hi Guys,

There are basically two ways that you can do this.  The big question is do you want to track your time spent?  If the answer is no, then the best way to charge a flat rate for something is to create an Expense.  Put a Quantity of 1 and the Amount of your choosing. (mouse, you could put a Quantity of 2 and an amount of £220, which may be more accurate for your purpose).

If you want to track your time for your own statistics, but charge a flat amount, that is when you want to use the new Fixed Amount Projects.  This is explained better in our manual, but the long and short of it is that there are two "Kinds" of Fixed Amount Projects.  These are modified in the "Project Code" itself.

"Daily Fixed Amount" if you charge a flat amount per day and want to "reuse" the Project.  This is the "kind" of Project code you would need to create.

The second is the standard "Fixed Amount" Project.  This type of project can only be used once and is meant to span a duration of more than one day.  This "kind" of project type code is *not* reusable.  It can only be used once and in order to add it to an invoice it *must* be marked as "Completed".  When you are done with a project, you must go back in the Project code and check the "Completed" field.  Only then can it be Invoiced.

Hope that clears things up a bit?  Please note that you can download the same PDF manual that is built into the app from the main Time Master page.  Scroll to the bottom for the link.  http://on-core.com/timemaster
tmurk

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 02:47:06 am »

Hi

Thanks for the swift response. It all makes sense now.
I'll read the manual more thoroughly next time.

Cheers
Wensleydale

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 09:55:41 am »

Hi Guys,

There are basically two ways that you can do this.  The big question is do you want to track your time spent?  If the answer is no, then the best way to charge a flat rate for something is to create an Expense.  Put a Quantity of 1 and the Amount of your choosing. (mouse, you could put a Quantity of 2 and an amount of £220, which may be more accurate for your purpose).

If you want to track your time for your own statistics, but charge a flat amount, that is when you want to use the new Fixed Amount Projects.  This is explained better in our manual, but the long and short of it is that there are two "Kinds" of Fixed Amount Projects.  These are modified in the "Project Code" itself.

"Daily Fixed Amount" if you charge a flat amount per day and want to "reuse" the Project.  This is the "kind" of Project code you would need to create.

The second is the standard "Fixed Amount" Project.  This type of project can only be used once and is meant to span a duration of more than one day.  This "kind" of project type code is *not* reusable.  It can only be used once and in order to add it to an invoice it *must* be marked as "Completed".  When you are done with a project, you must go back in the Project code and check the "Completed" field.  Only then can it be Invoiced.

Hope that clears things up a bit?  Please note that you can download the same PDF manual that is built into the app from the main Time Master page.  Scroll to the bottom for the link.  http://on-core.com/timemaster

I'm still not able to make this work on the iPad version.  I've created a project for a client to whom I quoted a fixed cost, and I have designated it "fixed cost" and entered the quoted dollar value.  I've finished the job, and have marked the project as "Completed".  But when I go to log the time for my records, the project doesn't show up, and when I try to generate an invoice, I can't do so without selecting a time entry.  What am I not getting?
Adam
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 10:27:04 am »

After you "Complete" the Fixed Amount Project, you still must add the entries to the Invoice.  Make sure your date range covers all the Time and Expense entries.  You could use the Auto Invoice to create the invoice.  You can also manually create the invoice with the Manage Invoices.  Then you would have to select all those Time & Expense entires, which should show up in the picker.

From you message it sounds like you are "manually" creating the invoice, correct?  If so, you will have to select all those entries.
Wensleydale

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 09:56:37 pm »

After you "Complete" the Fixed Amount Project, you still must add the entries to the Invoice.  Make sure your date range covers all the Time and Expense entries.  You could use the Auto Invoice to create the invoice.  You can also manually create the invoice with the Manage Invoices.  Then you would have to select all those Time & Expense entires, which should show up in the picker.

From you message it sounds like you are "manually" creating the invoice, correct?  If so, you will have to select all those entries.

I still must be missing something.  I can associate the time entries with the client, but not with the project.  When I tap "Project", it doesn't show up.  Auto-generating the invoices results in zero invoices generated.

Why do I have to have expense entries for a fixed cost project anyway?
Wensleydale

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 09:57:37 pm »

In the last line, make that "why do I have to have time or expense entries".
Adam
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 11:53:41 am »

I don't know what you meant that you cannot associate the entries with a client, but not a project?  Did you assign a Project code in each of the Time Entries?  If so, when you Auto Invoice, enter the Client in the Filters.  Then tap on the Project filter and then it will only show you the list of Projects for that specific Client.  Pick the correct Project and then tap Generate.

You do not have to "include" the Expenses in the Fixed Amount Project if you do not want to.  You either "include" those expenses into the flat rate or you don't and Expenses will be an extra charge on the invoice.
Wensleydale

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 01:06:54 pm »

I don't know what you meant that you cannot associate the entries with a client, but not a project?  Did you assign a Project code in each of the Time Entries?  If so, when you Auto Invoice, enter the Client in the Filters.  Then tap on the Project filter and then it will only show you the list of Projects for that specific Client.  Pick the correct Project and then tap Generate.

You do not have to "include" the Expenses in the Fixed Amount Project if you do not want to.  You either "include" those expenses into the flat rate or you don't and Expenses will be an extra charge on the invoice.

What I mean is I create a new time entry, I tap on "Client", and it shows me a list of clients.  I select the client with which the project is associated.  I then tap on "Project", and there are no projects listed.  When I check Setup->Projects, the project is still there, and is still associated with the same client.  If I create a new project from the picker, associate it with the client, set it to "Fixed Cost", set the cost, and check "Completed", after I save it still goes back to an empty picker.

If I create a new time entry and first tap on "Project", I see projects that are billed hourly, but still do not see the fixed cost project.
Adam
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 01:24:13 pm »

Ok, if you are not seeing the Project under that Client and it is for that specific Client, then you have marked the Project code as hidden.  The purpose of the Hidden flag is to be able to hide the Code from the specific list so that you cannot use it again.  For most people, once they have concluded that Project, they no longer want to see it in the "picker" list, so that is why the Hidden option is there.

The other thing is that once you mark a Project as Completed, it will also be Hidden from the Picker list.  The whole idea of that is that you do not want to bill the client while the project is in progress.  Once you have Completed it, then it is ready for Invoicing.  You will not be able to Invoice any of those entries until that Project is marked as Completed.  Once it is Completed, that Project is now locked so that you cannot accidentally add any new entries to it.
Wensleydale

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 08:11:48 pm »

Ok, if you are not seeing the Project under that Client and it is for that specific Client, then you have marked the Project code as hidden.  The purpose of the Hidden flag is to be able to hide the Code from the specific list so that you cannot use it again.  For most people, once they have concluded that Project, they no longer want to see it in the "picker" list, so that is why the Hidden option is there.

The other thing is that once you mark a Project as Completed, it will also be Hidden from the Picker list.  The whole idea of that is that you do not want to bill the client while the project is in progress.  Once you have Completed it, then it is ready for Invoicing.  You will not be able to Invoice any of those entries until that Project is marked as Completed.  Once it is Completed, that Project is now locked so that you cannot accidentally add any new entries to it.

The project is not marked as hidden, and is marked as completed.  Above you say "once you mark a Project as Completed, it will also be Hidden from the Picker list".  I assume this is a typo, and you mean until it is marked as completed it will be hidden, right?  Of course, it doesn't show up in the picker whether it is marked as completed or not.

[Edit]: Oh, forgot to hit save when I marked it as not completed (the app doesn't have any problem letting you switch back and forth between tabs without saving changes), and now I see what you are saying.  So, to sum up, I can't invoice a fixed cost project without adding time entries, and I can't add the project to the time entries once it is completed, but I can't invoice until it is marked as completed.  But this means that the only way to invoice a completed fixed cost project is to mark it as NOT completed, add a time entry, go back in to the database and mark it as completed, and then go through the invoicing process.  Sorry too many needless steps for me.  Thanks for the help, though.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 08:21:20 pm by Wensleydale » Logged
Adam
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 09:01:55 pm »

No, that is not a typo.  For a "Fixed Amount" Project, that code will show in the Picker list until it is marked as Completed.

It is only a few steps, but is necessary for anyone doing a flat rate project.  You must "close" (complete) it once it is finished, otherwise you would not be able to bill it.
Joe Z

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2011, 04:19:41 pm »

Adam, All in all this is a great app, and when I'm using the timed entries I do not have a problem.

But when I generate a fixed cost project, it becomes a bit tedious.  I 'get' the process from your perspective, but do I HAVE to go into the database to mark the project "complete."  It seems a bit convoluted going through the back door to edit something.  It would make much more sense if I could do that from the 'front end' (the "time entries" section, and just go all the way down in the project to the "invoicing" section and mark "Completed." (So add an extra "Completed" field there next to invoice # and Status,).  Also the projects should not disappear from the project list, that should ONLY happen when I click on "hidden". 

Adam
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 05:25:17 pm »

There is not really any other way to do this.  Since we do not want this to be "billable" (Invoiced) until it is Completed, we need a way to mark it as completed.  For example if you were doing a project that ran 3 months, you don't want to bill it until you are completed, so you don't want those entries showing up on the first or second months invoices.  That is why you will not see any pickable entries that are tied to a flat rate project until it is completed (on either a Manually or Automatically created invoices).

Also the reason that we automatically "hide" it in the lists is that once it is Completed, you are no longer allowed to add new entries to that Project, so it would not make sense to be able to pick it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: