On-Core Software
October 19, 2019, 01:10:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: SecuMail suggestions  (Read 11488 times)
sparc

« on: February 05, 2011, 08:17:46 am »

Hello

I just have purchased the SecuMail. I was looking for such an application for a long time. Thanks to have developped it.

I have some suggestions or requests :

1/ Could SecuMail correctly display the MIME encoded contents ? When i send a mail from Outlook2007+PGP, it appears in the Apple mail tool as a PGP file. When decrypting it with SecuMail, the content is here but with a lot of garbage around due to the MIME encoding and even the original encrypted message. Also, it would be nice to respect the line length for better reading

2/ Would it be possible to have SecuMail working as a plugin of the Apple mail as PGP can do with Outlook 2007. It would allow to have fully transparent encryption / decryption. Alternately, SecuMail could also become a full mail tool with embedded encryption / decryption capabilities

Best Regards

Sparc

Lucky

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 09:42:51 am »

yepp, secumail working as an Apple Mail plugin would be very nice!!!  Cheesy
Adam
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 02:25:04 pm »

Unfortunately we do not have the ability to integrate into Apple's Mail app (we would have loved to do that if we could have).  Only Apple can do that.  We were just happy that we can now "open" attachments from the Mail app and open them in SecuMail.  That is what finally allowed us to write SecuMail.

I will have to let Ernesto answer the other questions.
Ernesto
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 04:08:24 pm »

Hello sparc.

SecuMail will not decode MIME right now. Some of our beta testers have used it with Outlook and they reported they would get an encrypted rtf or html attachment with their encrypted email, both of which SecuMail handles just fine. I don't know if this is an option in the PGP plugin or in newer versions of Outlook.

That said, adding MIME support makes sense, so we'll add this to our wish-list of features for SecuMail and hopefully we can add support for it in a future release.

As far as a plugin, if you mean on the Desktop version of Apple Mail, there's an Open Source solutions out there called GPGMail: http://www.gpgtools.org/gpgmail.html
Notice we have nothing to do with that product, it's just something I ran across while developing SecuMail.

Within the device, this is not possible at the moment, as Apple does not provide any facilities to write plugins for the built-in Mail app.
Right now, SecuMail integrates as tightly as it's allowed. If Apple provides a better way to integrate with the Mail app, we'll certainly update Secumail to take advantage of it.

Thank you again for purchasing our product, and feel free to contact us if you have further questions.

Ernesto.
sparc

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 05:54:04 am »

Hello
Thanks for your answer

for the option in PGP or outlook, i don t know which one you are talking about. Maybe you could ask to your beta tester

i also have a problem with the images (jpeg ...) which are not decrypted

Any idea ?

Thanks

Sparc
Ernesto
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 01:23:54 pm »

for the option in PGP or outlook, i don t know which one you are talking about. Maybe you could ask to your beta tester

Are you using Outlook on Windows or Mac?

I'll probably run a few tests myself now that you pointed this out.
It'll help when trying to add MIME support.

i also have a problem with the images (jpeg ...) which are not decrypted

Any idea ?

Hrm, do you get any error message?

Thanks,
Ernesto
sparc

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 02:43:05 pm »

Hello

i use outllok on windows

for the images, i don t have any error message. The images are attachments of the mails sent from outlook. so maybe it is the same problem (MIME support). It is just annoying since i can t have the attachments

Thanks for you support. If you would like me to run some specific test, please let me know

Sparc
Ernesto
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 03:25:42 pm »

Thank you sparc.

Please bear with us, fixing interoperability issues is certainly something atop our priority list.
I'll run some specific tests tomorrow with this information, and I'll let you know what I find out.

Just a few more questions:
- Do the attachments have a pgp or asc extension to them (ie: image.jpg.pgp or image.jpg.asc).
- Is it the document viewer screen that doesn't show anything?
- If you do get to the document viewer screen, does the action button on the top right presents any options to open the image in, say, the Photos app?

Also, if we need to contact you directly in order to get a few sample emails from you, do we use the email address you registered here with?

Thank you for your feedback.
Ernesto
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 03:27:18 pm by Ernesto » Logged
sparc

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 05:21:56 pm »

Hello Ernesto

The attachment have a pgp extension (the file is named Message.pgp). It contains everything inside (plain text + MIME encoding + photos). The text and the MIME content are correctly decyphered by SecuMail (except for formatting which is lost). The photos remain cyphered even after being processed by SecuMail

The only option that i have to open Message.pgp is SecuMail

You can contact me on the mail that i provided for the forum registration

Sparc
Ernesto
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 06:28:37 pm »

Thank you sparc.

I think I have a better idea of what you're getting now. Looks like the complete MIME message encrypted with PGP.
SecuMail does not parse MIME right now, and thus doesn't understand anything about MIME sections or attachments.

SecuMail does decrypt individual attachments if they're part of the original unencrypted message and can be opened separately by the Mail app.

I'll try to replicate your setup over here, but in the case we have problems generating similar emails, we'll contact you to get some samples.

Thanks again for your feedback, and hopefully we will have a solution soon.

Ernesto.
sparc

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 12:35:08 pm »

Hello

I hav found an other issue (smaller than the MIME support)

When importing keys in a .asc file, if a person has more than one e-mail address associated to his key, only the first one is taken in account.

Regards

Sparc
Ernesto
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 12:49:52 pm »

yes, SecuMail only uses the first userid (name/email combination) found in the key.

While we could add support for multiple userid's, we need to come up with a suitable interface for picking which address to use.
Perhaps allowing the user to select a 'preferred' address for the key? Suggestions are welcome.

I also wanted to ask you what version of PGP Desktop are you using? If it's v9, are you using the email proxy option?

Thanks,
Ernesto.
Ernesto
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 02:06:43 pm »

sparc, I was unable to get the PGP9 email proxy feature to work. I don't know if it's because of Windows 7, or what exactly is the problem.

Could I ask you to contact us (http://on-core.com/contact.htm) through our support email account, letting us know that it's you, and see if we can exchange some keys so you could send me a couple of sample emails to work with?

Thanks,
Ernesto.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: