On-Core Software
November 13, 2019, 02:44:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Report is confusing when using session  (Read 3671 times)
Trying Finn

« on: December 19, 2010, 06:57:22 am »

To start with, I'm new to the program so excuse me for possible silly question but I didn't find an answer in the manual or in the forum. Secondly, I'm using the program in Finnish so sorry if I have the correct terms in English wrong.

When I create a report with an time entry with sessions it is confusing. For instance, if I start at 9am, have a non-billible break 12.45pm-2.15pm and I stop at 4.30pm the report shows in the time entry line the start time 09am and the end time 3pm which is incorrect. The duration is correct (6 hours) and therefore the billing. Then, under that line comes sessions with the correct times. That is, 09am-12.45pm and 2.15pm-4.30pm
Of course, if you look at the report and start wondering what is wrong, you'll soon find out but it is at the very least annoying and causes unnecessary contacts and at the worst causes delays in paying the bills because one wants to clear out the inconsistencies

Am I describing the problem understandably?
Is there a way around this?
Would it be possible to program the report section so that if there are session the report would print out the start time as the beginning of the first entry and the stop time as the time of the last entry or not print the time at all, only the duration?
Adam
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 12:48:29 pm »

To start with, I'm new to the program so excuse me for possible silly question but I didn't find an answer in the manual or in the forum. Secondly, I'm using the program in Finnish so sorry if I have the correct terms in English wrong.

When I create a report with an time entry with sessions it is confusing. For instance, if I start at 9am, have a non-billible break 12.45pm-2.15pm and I stop at 4.30pm the report shows in the time entry line the start time 09am and the end time 3pm which is incorrect. The duration is correct (6 hours) and therefore the billing. Then, under that line comes sessions with the correct times. That is, 09am-12.45pm and 2.15pm-4.30pm
Of course, if you look at the report and start wondering what is wrong, you'll soon find out but it is at the very least annoying and causes unnecessary contacts and at the worst causes delays in paying the bills because one wants to clear out the inconsistencies

Yes, the Sessions are used when you need to track the precise "punch in & out" times.  The *main* Time Entry always works as follows.  You take the "Start" time and *add* the Duration.  The "Stop" time is always *calculated* from that.  When I bill my clients, I do not show any Start or Stop times, only the Duration.  If your clients need to see when you punch in & out, give them the Session times and then the regular Duration (which is the Sum of all the Sessions and then "Rounded" if you are using rounding).

Am I describing the problem understandably?
Is there a way around this?
Would it be possible to program the report section so that if there are session the report would print out the start time as the beginning of the first entry and the stop time as the time of the last entry or not print the time at all, only the duration?

If you are using the Report output to show to someone, you can always turn "off" any columns you do not want on the report.  For example, if you are showing your Sessions, you would include that information, but you would want to turn Off the Start Time and Stop Time.  Those fields are in Setup -> Reports -> Export Fields.  You can turn them on/off and can also change the field order if you wish.

Trying Finn

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 02:12:19 pm »

If you are using the Report output to show to someone, you can always turn "off" any columns you do not want on the report.  For example, if you are showing your Sessions, you would include that information, but you would want to turn Off the Start Time and Stop Time.  Those fields are in Setup -> Reports -> Export Fields.  You can turn them on/off and can also change the field order if you wish.
Thanks for the quick response.
I know how to select fields which are shown in the raport. But if I have only few entries in which I have sessions composing to the total hours it is not an option to exclude Start and Stop Times from the report.
But as it seems, this is a feature. Take my proposal as a developement suggestion.
Other than the said annoyance, I really like the program and we probably take it in use in our firm.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: